The Sterling E. Murray Award for Student Travel The Sterling E. Murray Award for Student Travel, named in honor of SECM’s founding president, was established in 2011 to encourage and enable college and university students enrolled as full-time undergraduate or graduate students in accredited academic programs and having career interests that relate to the mission of the Society for Eighteenth-Century Music, to attend the Society’s biannual meetings. The award consists of $500 to support travel expenses as well as a student membership in the Society for one year. Award recipients are announced in the Society’s newsletter and recognized at the meeting that they attend.
Application Procedure: download application
Please submit applications as a PDF or WORD document to:
Dr. Lawrence Bennett
Sterling E. Murray Award Committee Chair
Applications consist of the following items:
1. Applicant information form.
2. A statement of 300 words or less describing your academic interests as they relate to the study of eighteenth-century music.
3. Two letters of recommendation written by persons who are familiar with your work and career interests. At least one must be from a teacher or professor who can verify your student status.
4. Your current curriculum vitae.
5. A brief itemized budget of the expenses you are likely to incur by attending the SECM biannual meeting, including travel, accommodations, and conference registration. The following documents (items 6 and 7) are optional but should be included, if appropriate, with your application:
6. If you have proposed a paper for the meeting, a copy of the abstract submitted to the Program Committee.
7. If you have attended one or more SECM meetings in the past, a brief statement about what you gained from the experience.
Back to home page